Welcome to our community!
Welcome to Community Baptist Church! God is doing a great work in your life, and we are excited to help you spiritually grow and mature. There are many ways to grow in Christ at CBC, as we seek to sincerely love each other, compassionately serve our community, and faithfully develop disciples of Jesus. Feel free to join us for worship on Sunday mornings to get started. Take a look at the opportunities that are found in this website to know and serve God and plan to take your next step!
When are your services?
Community Baptist Church is unique in that we are a multi-lingual church with services in three different languages at various time throughout the morning. Though we all consider ourselves an integral part of Community Baptist Church, each service is conducted by a different pastor in a different language:
- Cantonese Service - 9:30am in the Sanctuary
- English Service - 11:15am in the Sanctuary
- Mandarin Service - 11:15am in the Fellowship Hall
In addition to these services, there is also a Hispanic church, Iglesia Bautista Emanuel, which meets on Sunday afternoons at the church facilities.
How do you get to the church?
If you're interested in directions to the church, you can find a map here.
Do you have child care?
We have a nursery for babies 3 months to 3 years old, from 9:00am-12:30pm. All of those who work with the babies, children, and youth complete a background check and are screened. You can find out more our child care here.
Meet our Pastors:
Rev. Dr. Jenny Quey
Rev. Dr. Paul Esswein
Rev. Victor Cheng
Rev. Jennifer Plantenberg
Youth and Children Pastor
Learn about our Small Groups:
Would you like to know more about the small groups that meet throughout the week?
Learn more »
Learn about our Ministries:
Interested in the ways CBC ministers to the community and to one another?
Learn more »
Location and Directions
Located mid-peninsula right off of Highway 101 (20 minutes south of San Francisco and 25 minutes north of San Jose), Community Baptist Church is easily accessible from the freeway in a residential part of North Central San Mateo and only about a mile from downtown San Mateo.
Where to Park
Our church facilities has a parking lot which we prioritize for the elderly, disabled, and first-time visitors on Sundays. The entrance to the parking lot is located on Cypress Ave, between S Humboldt St and S Idaho St.
There is also street parking around the church. Because parking can sometimes be limited, we recommend arriving early for service.
We are a Chinese-American Christian church called to genuinely share Christ's love with others, to compassionately serve the San Mateo community, and to faithfully develop committed followers of Jesus Christ.
"A Chinese-American Christian church" - Describing our heritage and historical identity, Community Baptist Church is filled with people of vision whom God has used and is using to fulfill His Commission in this community since 1948. Learn more about our history here.
"Genuinely share Christ's love with others" - This is our greatest ethic. When we meet together, we desire that all who come will sense God's love for them. We desire that each person who enters the building encounters the sincere, never-ending love of God. Find out more about our core beliefs here.
"Compassionately serve the San Mateo Community" - We realize God has called us to serve Him and others in this world. We also realize that God has uniquely placed us in a multi-cultural community in order to serve the needs of that community in His name. Explore all of the opportunities we have to serve in and around the church.
"Faithfully develop committed followers of Jesus Christ" - We have an ongoing commitment to grow in our relationship with the Lord and desire for every person who meets with us to give their life to Christ and grow in Him. We desire for all people to become strong believers in Christ and for all believers to become strong disciples of Christ. Join a fellowship or small group and come grow with us.
With God’s help and guidance, we will see this vision become a reality.
Are you interested in becoming a member?
Becoming a member of a local church (like Community Baptist Church) has many benefits for you as a follower of Jesus Christ. Learn more about membership [PDF]
Our Core Beliefs
As part of the American Baptist Churches USA, we at Community Baptist Church of San Mateo believe:
1. That the Bible is God's Word, written by men divinely and uniquely inspired by the Holy Spirit and it is the final authority on matters of faith and conduct. (Psalm 119:105, 160; Proverbs 30:5; 2 Peter 1:20, 21)
2. That there is only one God, the Creator who exists in three persons: Father, Son & Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 John 4:13-16)
3. In Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the only Savior of the world; in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles, death, burial, bodily resurrection, ascension to Heaven at the right hand of the Father, and personal return to reign in power and glory. (John 3:16; Hebrews 4:14, 15; John 5:8-9; 1 Corinthians 15:3,4; Acts 1:9-11; Hebrews 7:25; Titus 2:13)
4. That man is sinful and can only be redeemed by the death and shed blood of Christ upon the cross. (John 14:6; Romans 6.23; Hebrews 7:25; 1 Peter 1:3-5; Titus 3:5; 2 Corinthians 5:17-21)
5. In the resurrection of both saved and lost; the believer to life everlasting and the nonbeliever to the resurrection of condemnation. (John 3:36; Romans 6:23; Revelation 20:15)
6. In the present ministry of the Holy Spirit indwelling, empowering, and guiding the believer. (John 14:16-17, 26; Acts 1:8; 1 Corinthians 2:12, 3:16; Galatians 5:25; 1 John 4:13)
7. In baptism of believers upon confession of faith. (Matthew 28:19; Mark 10:39; Romans 6:4; 1 Peter 3:21)
Community Baptist Church (CBC) was established in 1948 by Mrs. Margarita Lake "Mother" Garton, who had a vision to reach Chinese people in the San Mateo area. As the need grew for a place to worship, fellowship, and reach more Chinese people, a congregation was born. In 1958, the group was incorporated as the San Mateo Chinese Baptist Community Church.
In order to reach a wider section of the community, in 1962 the congregation voted to change the name to Community Baptist Church. In 1989, Pastor Jim Kennon had a vision to add an additional service, one that would serve the growing Cantonese speaking population in the Bay Area. Thus the Cantonese service became a reality in 1990. Twelve years later, Pastor Jenny Quey had a vision to add another service that would reach even more Chinese people. In 2002, the Mandarin-speaking congregation was born. Most recently, in 2005, CBC has been working with a group of believers in order reach the Hispanic community of San Mateo.
From CBC's beginning through one person's vision to reach Chinese people in the local area for Jesus Christ, to today's vision to reach the multi-cultural and diverse community of San Mateo County, God is using CBC to fulfill His Great Commission to make disciples of all people.
Some interesting facts about us
- The original building for the church was what is now referred to as the Fellowship Hall. The parking lot was incorporated in 1958, the upper classrooms and sanctuary were added in 1963, and the current nursery was built in 1984.
- In 1948, the church became the first Chinese congregation to be established on the peninsula, officially affiliated with the American Baptist Churches of the West.
- In 1974, a simultaneous Cantonese translation was started, allowing Cantonese speakers to hear the service in their native language in real-time.
- The 9:30am Cantonese service was started in 1990 and was the first service at CBC that was separate and dedicated to reach out to Cantonese-speaking people.